Sopwith: The Author's Edition is a greatly modified version of the original freeware classic with the following features:
- Faster framerate
- Novice (with unlimited ammo/no stalls) and Expert mode for Single Player
- Includes new sprites (bullet holes and dead birds)
- Allows your plane to be damaged and still be flyable
- Missiles and flares(!)
- Enemy planes drop bombs and fire missiles
- Altered status bar
- A few new surprises (try colliding with the oxen!)
Definitely this is THE version to have if you are a Sopwith fan (if you have never heard of the game before, check out my review of the original two games, both on this site). Big thanks to author David Clark who coded and released a great update of the original classics more than a decade after Sopwith 2 – and long after BMB Compuscience stopped to exist. Too bad the network modes have been disabled, but the game is still a lot of fun either against a human friend or a computer pilot. Two thumbs up, way up!
Note: There have since been more games in the series, namely Sopwith 3 and Sopwith Baron. Check them out on Sopwith.org linked below.
Reviewed by: Underdogs